Stanton County Public Power District was created in 1936 under the direction of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). Lines were built in rural Stanton County and the first 141 miles of line were energized in 1940. Initially, 174 consumers were hooked up. Today, SCPPD supports more than 2,700 consumers. The district has 7 substations that distribute electricity throughout the district at either 4160 volts (town) or 7,200/12,500 volts (rural) over nearly 770 miles of line.